Nowadays people are crazy about Selfie Pictures,
Social Media and Smartphones played a big role in founding this new era of Selfie Pictures,
but wait a minute!
According to WikiPedia
Robert Cornelius, an American pioneer in photography, produced a daguerreotype of himself in 1839 which is also one of the first photographs of a person. Because the process was slow he was able to uncover the lens, run into shot for a minute or more, and then replace the lens cap. He recorded on the back “The first light Picture ever taken. 1839.”
Below you can see the picture of Robert Cornelius taken 1893.
Wow!!! So Selfie are nothing new.
However, the term selfie started gaining in popularity based on the below events.
- The term “selfie” was discussed by photographer Jim Krause in 2005
- Although photos in the selfie genre predate the widespread use of the term. In the early 2000s, before Facebook became the dominant online social network, self-taken photographs were particularly common on MySpace.
- between 2006 and 2009 (when Facebook became more popular than MySpace), the “MySpace pic” (typically “an amateurish, flash-blinded self-portrait, often taken in front of a bathroom mirror”) became an indication of bad taste for users of the newer Facebook social network. Early Facebook portraits, in contrast, were usually well-focused and more formal, taken by others from distance.
- In 2009 in the image hosting and video hosting website Flickr, Flickr users used ‘selfies’ to describe seemingly endless self-portraits posted by teenage girls.
- According to Losse, improvements in design—especially the front-facing camera copied by the iPhone 4 (2010) from Korean and Japanese mobile phones, mobile photo apps such as Instagram, and selfie sites such as ItisMee—led to the resurgence of selfies in the early 2010s.
- By the end of 2012, Time magazine considered selfie one of the “top 10 buzzwords” of that year.
- By 2013, the word “selfie” had become commonplace enough to be monitored for inclusion in the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary. In November 2013, the word “selfie” was announced as being the “word of the year” by the Oxford English Dictionary, which gave the word itself an Australian origin.
- A selfie orchestrated by 86th Academy Awards host Ellen DeGeneres during the 2 March 2014 broadcast is the most retweeted image ever.
Ellen DeGeneres Selfie during the 86th Academy Awards
That’s how the picture was taken by Bradley Cooper
OK, let’s define the word “selfie” according to different famous sources:
A selfie is a self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a hand-held digital camera or camera phone. Selfies are often shared on social networking services such as Instagram, Snapchat, and Tumblr. They are often casual, and are typically taken either with a camera held at arm’s length or in a mirror.
a photograph that one takes of oneself with a digital camera or a front-facing smartphone, tablet, or webcam, especially for posting on a social-networking or photo-sharing website: selfies posted by teens on Twitter.
A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website: occasional selfies are acceptable, but posting a new picture of yourself every day isn’t necessary
A picture taken of yourself that is planned to be uploaded to Facebook, Myspace or any other sort of social networking website. You can usually see the person’s arm holding out the camera in which case you can clearly tell that this person does not have any friends to take pictures of them so they resort to Myspace to find internet friends and post pictures of themselves, taken by themselves. A selfie is usually accompanied by a kissy face or the individual looking in a direction that is not towards the camera.
My Top 22 Selfie Pictures up to the Year 2014
Funny Selfie with a Camel
Air Force Missile Selfie
Camel Bite Selfie
Selfie from the Top of the Dubai Marina Building in Dubai
Fighter Pilot Selfie
Skydiving From Balloon Selfie
Selfie Taken from the Top of a Dubai Marina Building in Dubai
Dubai Crown Prince Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktum Celebrating the Winning of Expo 2020
at the Top of the Tallest Building in the World (Burj Khalifa)
A Slefie from the top of Christ The Redeemer Statue in Brazil
NASA Astronaut Shoots Ultimate Christmas Eve Selfie from the Space
Young Guys Shoot an Extremely Funny Selfie in a Very Unique and Innovative Way During the Hot Summer of June 2014 in Baghdad, Iraq, from the Garden of Their Villa While They Are Standing in a Small Swimming Pool. Plus, They Are Having Shisha in This Hot Weather next to the Swimming Pool.
What made me choose the Baghdad selfie as the best selfie ever is the uniqueness of the selfie in the way it’s taken, and the sense of humor in it. Regardless of what those young men are facing in terms of difficulties in Iraq, they choose to enjoy their life and laugh ironically at the situation, using their own unique and simple methods to enjoy their life.
Please share with us the best selfie pictures that you have ever seen before, as I’m sure that there are still many great selfie pictures that have not been published publicly.